The department of correctional services sets available different bursaries each year for unemployed South African citizens. With this, they aim to decrease the number of unemployed citizens as well as cater for their future needs when it comes to personnel. With this retention and employment strategy, they hope to attract capable candidates with high values that are eager to learn. They offer stability and opportunity for growth within their departments to all successful employees.
Department of Correctional Services Bursaries
If you see yourself as a go-getter and someone who can be responsible as well as live up to your expectations then the Department of Correctional services might just be looking for you. They have a wide range of bursaries available each year into many fields of study for candidates wanting to improve their conditions.
The Department of Correctional Services bursaries include the following for successful candidates:
- R12000 per year for the following
- R700 will also be awarded for Book fees
Upon acceptance of a bursary, the candidate must also be ready to enter into a service agreement and prepared to do counter-service where ever the department has a need for your skills.
Department of Correctional Services Bursaries Available
The bursaries each year differ somewhat as to the need that arises within the Department of Correctional services but we have compiled a list of the most frequent bursaries they had available for you to consider. For more information, it is recommended that you visit their web page here for currently available bursaries.
The fields available are as follow:
- Artisans National Diploma – Plumbing
- Brick lying
- Nursing National Diploma – Primary Health Care
- Degree – Pharmacy
- Master’s Degree – Clinical/Counseling Psychology
- BA / Honors – Psychology
- MBCHB – Medicine
- National Diploma – Agricultural
- National Diploma / Degree – Social Work
- National Diploma / Degree – Food Service Management
- National Diploma – Information & Technology (IT)
- Degree / National Diploma – Financial & Management Accounting
- Degree / National Diploma – Internal Auditing
Department of Correctional Services Bursaries Requirements
Candidates must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a bursary:
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have a valid ID Document
- You must be acknowledged to study at a recognized tertiary institution in South Africa.
- If the sponsorship letter of the Department of Correctional Services is not accepted by the institute you must be willing to pay the registration fee, which will be paid back to you during your study year if successful.
- The successful candidate must be willing to become an employee of the Department of Correctional services upon completion of their studies.
- One year employment contract per year of study.
If you are currently a full-time undergraduate or post-graduate student you can also apply for a bursary.
Candidates are required to complete the application form fully. Your application form must be accompanied by the following certified copies of these documents as many as you have available:
- ID Book
- Matric Results
- Highest Qualification
- Latest Academic records if studying at a tertiary institute
- Proof of application to a tertiary institute
- Acceptance letter from tertiary institute
- Your course curriculum or prospectus
Department of Correctional Services Bursaries Application
Application forms need to be collected from the different branches as stated underneath; they will NOT be posted or faxed to anyone. Applications that are incomplete, e-mailed or faxed back will also NOT be considered; please hand in your completed form with needed documentation to the office where you collected the forms from. Certified copies should not be older than three months to be valid.
Bursaries online application is not available but candidates can download the application form here.
DCS Bursaries Closing Date
The completed application form with all relevant documentation should be handed into the office as mentioned above by the beginning of July each year. This date may also differ depending on the bursaries available and the Department of Correctional services requirements so please enquire upon the final date when you collect your forms.
Only successful candidates will be contacted and further correspondence will be entered into.